Wednesday, January 20, 2010

How many of you rifle hunters use a scope on your hunting rifle?

Simple curiousity here. I have both, scoped and unscoped, depending on game and distance.


What do you prefer and why.How many of you rifle hunters use a scope on your hunting rifle?
Most of them are scoped, and so many these days come with naked barrels! I'd sure like to see some of the manufacturers put a pop-up peep on their rifles, though. Guess my age is showing.How many of you rifle hunters use a scope on your hunting rifle?
scope
only scope. If I don't need a scope why am I using a rifle? Admittedly I shoot alot of stuff inside 50 yards. I just think the scope reduces errors
Here, here I do, because it is better than using open sights.* Accuracy %26amp; bullet placement improve tremendously, it also allows you to extend your range capability's to harvest the game you are hunting.* You also don't need binoculars when your gun is scoped.*
I have always preferred to use iron sights or peep sights.





Scopes are a major expense and PITA.....much more fragile than any rifle, and subject to wet, mud and bumps. If you have ever missed a sure thing shot because the scope was bumped off zero, you know my frustration.





I find many guys (mostly younger than me) would not even think of shooting a whitetail at 200 yards with iron sights. For them, it's scope or nothing.





I say that I was trained to be a rifleman first and a hunter second and will take some shots that may surprise some.





I shoot competitions at 200 yards with iron sites and am in the kill zone at a very high percentage. My grandad used a lever .30-30 with a Lyman peep sight and always brought home meat, even into his 70s.





Now, I do have some scoped hunting rifles and may get more now that my eyes are getting older. I prefer fixed 4x or 6x scopes. Unless you are shooting varmints at 600-800 yards, you are victim of ';Gadgetry'; for having a very high powered variable scope when a lesser fixed power will do the job.
I have one rifle without a scope. It has a Lyman No 57 peep. Still shoots 3'; groups at 100 yards.





I like scopes. But then again I am a varmint hunter. So to see small little things at a long ways away you need a scope and a good one.





I personaly think every shooter should start out with a rifle with iron sights. Then after mastering them move on to a scope.
I have both. When I am hunting large game I always use a scope. When I am hunting hogs and such I go with irons mostly.
I have both but prefer scope for deer hunting.





H
I have both as well.





Depends on what I'm hunting. My primary deer rifle is scoped. My AR, SKS (scoped with sight view mounts) and 22 rifles aren't.
I use a scope on ALL my rifles.


I like my Nikkon 20x40x60 titanium series . I have one mounted on my Tikka T3 Tactical and on my Tikka t3 hunter.


But I also have several Swarovski scopes that i absolutely LOVE. If you can afford them thats what i would reccomend
i preffer unscoped.
A scope on a raised mount so I can also use the iron sights.
I haven't used an unscoped rifle in a while, I still have one in case I want to use it. The rest of my rifles have scopes.
The only time I have hunted with a scope was when I was under the assumption that my gun wasn't allowed for hunting coyotes, so I was using my dad's. Since then I have learned to the contrary so I am using my unscoped rifle.





I prefer the open sites because it makes hunting more of a challenge, you can't take a 200 yard shot on a deer as easily with open as you can with scopes. I also like them because two pieces of steel won't fog up or be knocked off centre by a slight bump.
My Social Rifle, a Rossi M-92 SRC in .357 Magnum and my T/C .54 cal Renegade are unscoped, but my hunting rifles are scoped. Only because of failing eyesight.





I really don't much like scopes.





Doc
i prefer open sights, mostly as i dont take long distance shots
for hunting in flat open country, a scope and a few seconds (well, minutes) to pinpoint the shot from a prone position %26amp; a solid rest





for typical eastern terrain where an offhand (standing) shot is the norm, the magnified wobble thru a scope drives me to distraction, and despite my deteriorating eyes, i still have no problem aligning the front sight, rear sight, and target quickly.





plus a scope can adversely affect the balance of a rifle and make it feel like a big clunky old piece of plumbing. a lightweight rifle needs a lightweight scope, a heavy rifle doesn't need to be any heavier, unless its a .50cal.





at one time, sights on the enfield rifles used by the British army were calibrated for up to 2000 yards, yes two thousand, admittedly the intention was massed volley fire, but the fact that someone would even conceive of firing rifles at that range is astounding
I use a scope on my 30-06. I hunt alot of fields and open country. Most shots are over 100 yards.
Well I have a .270 bolt action remington model 700 that I use for deer hunting that I have a scope I like a scope better because I feel it's easier to get the exact spot on the target with a scope but when your on a drive it would be able to use a non scoped gun because you might need to aim really quick if the deers running so depends on what and how your hunting.
It depends what I am hunting. Usually if I am hunting big game I don't use a scope but if I'm hunting small game I do.
I use a Leupold VX-I 3-9x40 on my Remington 660 .308 which I use to hunt whitetail deer. I don't have much time for target practice, and I rely on the scope to help ensure a clean kill. I have been pondering lately on removing the scope from my Ruger 10/22 and doing some metal sight smallbore light rifle competition. I would like to raise my comfort level with open sights.
I hunt deer with a scope and open sights. My Savage 30-06 is topped with a Leupold and I love it. My sporterized 8mm Mauser, along with my .50 caliber muzzleloader are the guns with the open sights. I prefer a scope for anything 75 yards or more. But, when I hunt in the thick pine forests here in northern Pennsylvania, my iron sights are able to pick up the deer faster, when shots are about 30-40 yards.
i have both scoped, as well as un-scoped.


1 of my rifles, even has a see through scope mount, because i use it for close as well as long range shooting
Like Boker, I use both Iron Sights and Scopes depending on what activity I'm doing. My long guns are about a 50/50 split between scopes and no scopes.





Scopes are definately an advantage as we get older to assure a clear sight picture and a clean kill shot while hunting.Personally, I would never use a scope on a Black Powder rifle and I honestly don't feel that a scope was ever ';practical'; to be mounted on a Handgun....Since I shoot Long Range Competitions and Matches, ALL of my centerfire match rifles have scopes on them. I am a big believer in that ';You get what you pay for'; when it comes to scopes so I buy quality (One of the BIG advantages of being a Dealer)
my partner does when he goes wild boar hunting here in New Zealand
I use ...for brush I use an unscoped 45-70 and for open terrain I use a scoped Rem 700 .308..depends on when and where I am hunting..I dont have a preference
my rifle doesn't have iron sights so a scope.
I use a scope most of the time...works great...but I feel more adequate with out like I was a better shot ya know....
I only use a scope in Iraq

No comments:

Post a Comment