Friday, January 22, 2010

What breeds are the best squirrel hunting dogs?

I have a rat terrier that is a great squirrel dog. He trees squirrels better than any other I have ever seen. He is the envy of all my hunting buds, and some of them are asking for a puppy by him. So I am considering breeding him to produce excellent hunting dogs. What type of breed would be a good choice for mating my dog? What are some other breeds that are known for their squirrel hunting prowess?What breeds are the best squirrel hunting dogs?
* Terriers *What breeds are the best squirrel hunting dogs?
The best three squirrel dogs I have ever seen were:





A Fiest named Hiccup that belonged to my Uncle. He started training him when he was only 5 weeks old; the day he found him by the side of the road.


A Wire-haired terrier named Trouble, a dog my friend rescued from the local animal shelter.


A miniature collie named Taffy that wandered up to my house when I was about 15 years old. After trying to find the owner for a couple of months I decided to keep him and started training him to sit, stay, fetch, etc. He followed me to the field one day and, on his own, started pointing quail. From there he began treeing squirrels, chasing rabbits and retrieving anything I shot that he could carry.





Shoot straight and stay safe.
U can train most dogs to do something. As for hunting squirrels try breeds called fiests, mountain currs, and jack russels , border collies
Most all dogs have tremendous noses. I don't think it would matter much.


It really helps to let the pups run with the big dogs- they catch on quick.
Why create a mutt? Stick with a rat terrier. As an aside, I have sen a couple of Jack Russel's that were excellent squirrel dogs.
Just a shot in the dark here, but how about breeding him with a rat terrier?
THIS IS MY TIME TO SHINE! Try breeding it with a weener dawg! Yes a dachsund! They used to hunt badgers and squirrels haha
rat or fox terriers, beagles, and dobermans work best i think

No comments:

Post a Comment