Saturday, January 23, 2010

What do I need to learn to start a hobby in rock and gemstone hunting?

I have about 50 acres in NC that has never been touched commercially. There is also a running creek on this same property. I was playing the lottery and a friend said i'd have better luck finding a gem, which got me to thinking. I know NC is rich in Emeralds and other precious rocks, even gold in some areas. I know I can go out with a shovel and pick, but i'm not sure what to look for since some gems are encased in rock or hard to notice. Any suggestions as to how to get started, noticing probable locations and resources I would benifit from would be appreciated. I figure even if I dont find anything, at least its good exercise and could be fun. I look forward to your responses, thanks.What do I need to learn to start a hobby in rock and gemstone hunting?
I started collecting stuff like this with my Dad many years ago before it was trendy. What a fun place to live! I can't offer info on how to do it, since I buy from folks that do what you want to. BUT I do know that there are many clubs in various parts of the country, not to mention forums online that discuss it.





I would think a really good place to start would be be go through these online, see if there is a group near you where that you could join, learn, or hook up with someone who could teach you since this is so hands on. And might be good to get to know some folks, find out who is trustworthy and established before you let folks on your land!





Here is a site devoted to rock clubs in the US;


http://www.rockhounds.com/rockshop/clubl鈥?/a> There are many in your state. I'd poke around them, see if any have outtings, see who might teach you and some might even have some old supplies to sell you etc. If I were you I'd learn more because having seen gems in their natural state, it is easy to miss them and it would be a shame for you to either do that or break some apart. I'd learn first and then hope you find some treasures. I do know that many stones are typically found in certain formations, so bet those in your area could also give you a heads up on what to look for so, and narrow it down from just a needle in a haystack.





And here are the Yahoo Groups devoted to it;


http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/dir/Hobbies_鈥?/a>


I wish I had all my old bookmarks on this computer but they are on CD. I usebd to have a lot more of this and had done more research. But these should be enough to get you going I would think.





Found one more site I had found interesting that might help you. http://mineral.galleries.com/minerals/ph鈥?/a>


This is where you can look at each mineral and get an idea of the what the rough looks like and different types and info etc. If you go to the main page there are tons of other areas.





Sounds like great fun to me....hope you have great success with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment