Sunday, January 24, 2010

What factory load would you suggest for deer hunting with my 357 mag?

Looking to use my 357 mag for deer hunting this year. I've been told it's a little on the light side for deer. I shoot pretty good out to 40 yards with the red dot scope so I'll probably make that my limit. I have a 6 1/2'; revolver.What factory load would you suggest for deer hunting with my 357 mag?
It's not to under powered to 75yds in capable hands. I've killed a couple myself with the 38spl out to the 35,40yd marks using 125 +P and 158grn hollow points. In the mag the 158's would be great with a good wallop. The advantage you also have is using the 38's in the 357 since it's interchangable. 38 in 357, but not 357 in 38 because of the pressure difference. Sounds like you have a good set up at moderate ranges. Good luckWhat factory load would you suggest for deer hunting with my 357 mag?
I too enjoy hunting Deer with revolvers. I mainly use a 44 mag but a 357 will get the job done nicely as well.





I have taken deer with the following rounds shot from my Ruger GP100 6'; Revolver.





Hornady 357 MAG 140 GR Leverloution - Built for Lever Rifles but extremely accurate from Revolvers





Hornady 357 MAG 140 GR HP/XTP





Links to both





https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session鈥?/a>
I have used the .357 on deer many times and I load 140 XTP's for Deer/Antelope. 125's aren't nearly up to the challange. Factory 158 Soft Points or Hollow Points will do just fine. Sounds like you know your limitations so thats good. I have found the .357 works to around 100 yds. but shot placement is critical at that distance so I wouldn't recomend it. PS I also use a red dot sight on my 6'; 686 S%26amp;W and love it.
Winchester 180gr Partition Gold HP possibly 158gr JSP or JHP





Remington Core-Lokt 165gr or 180gr SJHP again possibly the 158gr JHP or JSP





Federal 180gr JHP, 180gr CastCore, 140 Barnes Expander, and maybe the 158gr Hydra Shok





Hornady 140gr Leverevolution, 158gr HP/XTP
Buffalo Bore


http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=p鈥?/a>





http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=p鈥?/a>
For Best Performance use the 158 grain semi jacketed soft flat point bullet.* Keep your kill shot within a maximum of 50 yards or closer.*
If I were going to hunt with a .357, I would use the 160-180 grain flat point or soft point. Most .357 hollow points weren't made to punch through tough hide, and may open up prematurely.
I have used 158 gr Magtech soft points in the past. I plan on using 158 gr hard cast bullets now since I started reloading.
  • discount makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment