Sunday, January 24, 2010

What is the best gun to start a 9yr old out for squirell hunting?

I would like to get my son into hunting, squirell is the best starting point so. What gun? He has shot an adult size 12 guage 2 times but thouhgt it kicked too much. I like the 20 guage or should i get him a .22LR? 20 guage = better chance at getting squirell, .22 less kick , need better accuracy, but cant shoot out of tree just in case he misses. HelpWhat is the best gun to start a 9yr old out for squirell hunting?
well this is what my dad did to me and it works start him with a 20ga. then once he kills with it let him move up to the .22





PS. for the ones who say get him a .410 dont listen ask any exepert shotgun shooter a .410 is an exepert's gun due to the low amount of pellets (and if you knew that then it did no good telling you)What is the best gun to start a 9yr old out for squirell hunting?
I recomend a 410 or a .22
You have three choices # 1 A 22 Single shot Rifle%26gt;%26gt; #2 A 20 Gauge Shotgun%26gt;%26gt; #3 A over %26amp; under 22 LR %26amp; 20 Gauge combination.* I would choose single shot on both the Rifle or Shotgun.* No pumps or semi's
I too started hunting squirrel, with a .22. My first thought was to say a bolt action .22, and you sure can't go wrong there, but you know there a lot of advantages to a 20ga in tree hunting. You need to already be a pretty good shot to hit tree rat with a .22 and the 20ga is more forgiving and can be used for other game as well.





Heck, you could get him a Rossi Matched Pair Youth Model...changeable barrels in .22lr and 20ga and under $150 for the whole package.








EDIT: Heck JD I want a Savage 24 for under $300. I have been keeping an eye out for them and they go for some high dollars! I'm not even concerned with finish as I'll duracoat the metal. I want one in caliber for coyotes, .223 or so.
try a .410
Do you eat the squirels afterwards?


I am serious and do not mean that as a derogatory remark.
The 20 ga. shotgun also can fill the squirrel with so many pellet that the meat is not edible.The .22LR require more precise aiming and a steady hold to take the game. You already know that.
i d go with the 22 either a bolt or leveraction. i have had my marlin 39a for almost 30 years now, not a problem with it and either the bolt action or lever are a better choice for youth than semi auto, teaches them more control instead of just pulling trigger
i would suggest getting him a 4/10,not much kick to them at all
go with a 20 Gage pump or semi auto buy a youth model like an 870 or 500 in pumps because you can buy full size stocks for them later when he gets bigger and he will be able to use the gun his whole life on a variety of game
When I was that young my father got me a 410 and then a year or two later a 20 guage.
Get him a single shot bolt action .22. By having to get a bullet out of his pocket to reload after every shot he will become a better shot because he won't be thinking about follow up shots like he might is he uses a semi-automatic or even a bolt action with a magazine. He will learn to make every shot count, and learning the value of getting it right to start with will help him in other things in life. When he gets good with the single shot, get him a 10/22, and soon after that a bolt action .308 for deer. At that point I suggest a stainless steel/ synthetic stock Ruger 77 like the one I sometimes use. As for the .22, any decent single shot bolt action will do, and after he gets good with open sights put a scope on it for him and watch him get better.
.22 is perfect, or if hes a tough kid, a 410 shotgun. they dont kick bad, i was 10 when i got a 410 i loved it. it also has just enough kick to make you learn to suck that stalk up to your shoulder!
I agree with JD about the Savage Model 24, but I think the .410 shotgun is pretty worthless for hunting, go with a .22/20 gauge. I gave a backpacker model to my godson as his first personally owned firearm.





If you want more information on the great little combo guns, pop over to the Savage 24 Discussion Forum at: http://disc.server.com/Indices/180203.ht鈥?/a>





Another possible option would be an H%26amp;R 1871 Pardner Youth in 28 gauge, if you can find them. They are light, handy, and mild of recoil, but they are several orders of magnitude better than the .410 for a youngster learning to shoot and hunt. http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/鈥?/a>





Doc
OK..On a more serious note.(After reading the negative responses)I think you are right about the choice of a 20 gauge, but I have a suggestion. I tell all of my customers that have children just starting out hunting like yours, To try to find a Used Savage Model 24 series 22/410 or 22/20 gauge rifle/ shotgun combination. They are pretty common and can be found on many auction sites for under $280..The ';best'; of both worlds.....Many Dealers like myself have access to websites that offer these guns on a regular basis for sales to Dealers looking for a specific caliber of weapon or a specific Model. This service is usually free. If that is a difficult thing to find then pretty much any 20 Gauge Shotgun will do the trick. This day and age they all come with choke tubes for different chokes and barrel lengths and of course at all price ranges from a bolt action to a pump action or semi-automatic. I would also look to buy a shotgun that is versatile enough for your son to ';grow into'; meaning something he will be able to use more than just a few years and outgrow. It would be better to spend a few dollars more for a gun you know he'll cherish and use for years to come. Good Luck and SAFE Hunting! Thank you for continuing our Hunting heritage thru teaching and hunting with your children!
Now this brings back memories (I don't hunt anymore...busy life), I was 8 yrs old and my dad gave/loaned me his .22 rifle (don't remember what brand or exact model). First he taught me safety (where to point it, how to walk with it, load it, unload it, how to aim, etc.) then we went target practicing a couple of times (I remember yelling did I hit it, did I hit it) and then he, my brother, and myself went squirrel hunting. Didn't get anything but it's one of my best memories with my dad. Anyway, I would vote for the .22 rifle not the 12 gauge. I remember thnking this rifle is a lot bigger than my brother's BB gun...just make sure and have fun and remember this is the time to emphasize safety with your boy, the stuff you teach him now will help turn him into a responsible gun owner and hunter.
I would go with the 20ga. He would be more likely to hit a squirrel with it. That is a small target and sometimes he will have a hard time getting a clear shot with a 22. I hope you have a great season with your son.
Go with a Rossi combo single shot. It comes with one .22lr barrel and one 20 gauge barrel. It would be perfect for someone his age. But if you do get a pretty good recoil pad. I have the .22lr/.410 ga combo and it only weighs about 3-4lbs. It kicks alot more than even my rem 870 home defense model. And it the .22lr/20 ga would also be good if you ever go bird hunting.
if you plan on eventually hunting all other small game, i use a 12 guauge single shot but for a younger, smaller (I'm 5'5';, 150 lbs) i would get him a 20 gauge single shot. i know people use auto loaders for small game and upland, but if you want to teach him right teach him to only need one shot and make it count. a 20 gauge can also be used even when he is older. it will do fine with squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, grouse, quail and turkey in the fall. plus, the recoil is tolerable.


a .22 LR is not a good squirrel/rabbit gun despite popular belief. you don't want to shoot a bullet that can go up to 2 miles if shot at the right angle. and for boosting a young hunters morale, get him a 20 gauge that will give him a better chance of harvesting game. and besides, you shouldn't take a shot at moving game with a single projectile like a .22.





whatever you do, good luck to him and good luck to you as well.
What!





Hes 9!





Don't give him a gun full stop!





I see I got lots of thumbs down, that's because you are all American and believe its OK to give guns to kids!
Give him a camera
I would say a 50. cal at the very least maybe even a rocket propelled grenade launcher. If you can try teaching the boy how to use an atomic bomb.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. 22LR Optics

    ReplyDelete