Friday, January 22, 2010

I am looking to start Bow Hunting for Black Bear and deer, any suggestions of a good bow?

Looking to buy a new bow for Black bear hunting and deer hunting, any suggestions would be great.





Thanks, MattI am looking to start Bow Hunting for Black Bear and deer, any suggestions of a good bow?
Ninja BowI am looking to start Bow Hunting for Black Bear and deer, any suggestions of a good bow?
k hack doesnt know what he is talking about the best kind of bows are PSE and Mathews but browning and bear also make some good bows. I can't afford a PSE or Mathews so I have always shot a Browning. If your starting out try a bear or a browning.

Report Abuse



Hoyt full re-curve Bow.*
there are alot of good bows out there and when it comes to choosing the one for you the best advice i can give you is go to a good hunting store with a good selection and people who know what they are talking about somewhere like basspro or cabelas. tell them what you looking for and see what fits you best the y will help you with picking out what is best for you and what sites, rest, arrows, etc. will be best for you. just be prepared to spend alot of money on a good setup which you will need if you want to hunt bear with it. i spent almost a grand on my setup and theres still stuff that i want to change that is even more expensive than what i already have on there.
I have a PSE too, a fireflight 33 they made for cabela's, but i don't honestly think that matters in this question. What you need to do is go find one that fits and that is comfortable for you to shoot. Go to an ARCHERY PRO SHOP and let them help fit you. This is vital particularly if you are new to the sport. Its not like buying a gun off the shelf, a bow needs to fit and be tuned to the actual owner/shooter.
I love my Matthews. But that being said when it comes to you, it doesn't matter what I love. When I got my bow, I got the one I liked best, not the name. I followed the adive of most everybody here and went to a pro shop. Trust my if you are gonna lay down your cash, they'll give you plenty of help. Get a good idea what you want to spend and then go from there. Good luck.......
When I first became interested in archery (for the second time; there was a fifteen-year gap), I asked people ';what's the best bow for ____ ?'; I got a lot of answers, but nothing objective, because all of the answers were based on the personal preference of the person doing the answering.





Go to an ARCHERY SHOP, not Cabela's, Gander Mountain, Wal-Mart, Holiday Sports, Scheel's, or even Sportsman's Warehouse -- in fact, just forget the ';Big Box'; stores altogether; they want to sell you what ';looks good'; or is ';popular';, not necessarily what you actually need. At an ARCHERY SHOP, you will find people who are experienced in archery/bowhunting and know what is needed for ';____'; (as opposed to the folks at places like Cabela's, where - if you are lucky - they MIGHT have some real experience in their 'department' (most of the time they work 2 or 3 'departments', so how can you be sure they know what they are talking about?); I walked in to a Sportsman's Warehouse last year and asked how much actual archery experience the sales-guy had, and was told ';Oh, I've been shooting bow and arrow for two years now';. NOT a good sign, and Wal-Mart is ten times worse; don't go there unless you already know what you need).





The bow has to fit your hand, it has to feel right in your hand, it has to be the correct physical weight in your hand -- and YOU are the person who will be using it, not the one that sells it to you. If YOU don't like it for whatever reason, it won't be anything other than just an expensive piece of junk because your experiences with it will always be less-than-perfect (even on those rare occasions when everything ';clicks';). ';Power'; is often over-rated, since even a 46 lb-draw longbow can be used effectively to kill large game -- including bear.





When you try out the bows at the archery shop, don't stop with compounds -- try some of the recurves and longbows, too (if there are any). You won't know if you like them until you try them.





And then there are the arrows. The ';perfect'; arrow for one set-up most likely will not work at all for another set-up. They MUST be matched to the bow/archer/intended use combination for full effectiveness. Get the wrong arrows, and that ';perfect'; bow can become the worst investment ever. And ';quality'; does not always equal ';expensive';....ten years ago I paid a ';professional'; fletcher $60 for a dozen arrows -- and they were junk; I now pay less than $40/dozen (total cost for shafting/fletching/points/nocks/etc; sometimes you can get a discount on supplies by ';doing favors';) and build my own, and they are nearly perfect. Get the best that you can afford, at the very least.





Hope it helps, if only in some small way.
hoyt
I recently purchased a new bow for Black bear hunting. It's a PSE Firestorm Lite. With an 85% let off I can shoot it easily with it maxed out at 70lb draw weight. It is one of the smoothest, quietest, most accurate bows I've ever shot.
I am on the same track as you Matt. I outgrew my PSE Nova Jr., and I am also looking for a new one to go hunting with again. I am after the Mathews Switchback. Quite expensive, but I hear it is an amazing bow, and you'll never need another one. Best of luck.
hi Matt, really any bow anymore is just as good as another these days. you can look for pse Hoyt bear Mathews the list goes on and on . i personally use the Mathews switchback xt and love it. u can find a good archery shop with a range and try most bows before you buy. just remember you get what you pay for. good luck and have fun. thanks Matthew d.
mathews
leave the animals alone

No comments:

Post a Comment