Friday, January 22, 2010

What will i need for hunting Im new to it?

I need to know what other licenses and permits i need to hunt deer waterfowl and turkey.I live in illinois and already know that i nedd to take the hunters safety course and get my main license.Also i need to know where i can get my stuff i am planning to take the hunters safety course online.Does any one have any plans for making racoon traps i really want to start i have a compound hunting bow and a crosman 66 powermaster pellet gun.What will i need for hunting Im new to it?
I'm not sure how things work over there in Illinois but here in Pennsylvania if you want to do any waterfowl hunting you have to buy the additional waterfowl license and get a migratory bird stamp (you can get it from the post office). And I guess you are hunting deer with a bow, you will have to check your Game commission to see where and IF you are allowed to hunt turkeys with bows - if not - you need to invest in a shotgun or .22 long rifle (If legal - again check with your game commission). Here in Pennsylvania our turkey and deer licenses come with our MAIN hunting license so you would have to check. And if you want to trap you will have to purchase a different license and possibly even take a trappers course (not sure).


As for gear and such - I would go to somewhere like Cabela's or somewhere that specializes in hunting and if you need help they people there can actually offer it to you. I DON'T recommend Gander Mountain because everytime I've gone there there was no one around and when they DID show up they just looked at me like I was speaking japanese or something.


Hope this helped!What will i need for hunting Im new to it?
I've been hunting for over 40 years, everything from bunnies to bears, with bows, rifles and pistols. My advice would be to keep it to the minimum. Everything you take with you seems to gain a few pounds by the end of the day. Most of the ';essential gear'; today's hunters carry I don't even own and I seldom come back empty handed. I carry my hunting weapon, ammunition, a canteen of water, my knife and a lighter. If I'm in a new area I also take a topo map and compass. The only thing that may vary for a given hunt would be the weapon and appropriate ammo. If you have very little outdoor training or experience I'd suggest reading a few books and go to some hunting and survival sites on-line. Forget the marketing hype -- just hunt.
Well, the best thing to to is head on down to Cabela's, Scheels, Sportsman's Wharehouse, etc. Pick one of everything your definately need, then go back again and get one of everything you think you might need. Last run through, get one of everything that your buddies dont have and might want, just to say you have it. This last step is crucial, because you can use this stuff when you want to borrow thiers.





Thats a good start, repeat this procedure right around september every year.
For guys just getting into hunting and guns, maybe try http://www.oldhunterrumors.com/ , and scroll down a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment