Sunday, January 24, 2010

What are your strategies for fall turkey hunting?

From articles I've read, spring calls don't work very well. I do know a spot where they move through, just not sure of their timing, it's never the same each day, but the location is pretty reliable. Unfortunately, that spot is on adjoining property where I hunt. I see them a lot, but my question is this; Is there a way to lure them across the fence for a good ol' 20 gauge salute?What are your strategies for fall turkey hunting?
My experience in the Fall makes me think that most calls, just don't seem to work on at the beginning of the season for Gobblers.The only way I have been consistantly successful is to find out where they roost for the night, and get there and set up closeby about 40 minutes before the sun comes up. I've also had some luck bringing a few Tom's thru a wire fence in past hunts using a lifelike Tom Decoy, along with 2 Jake Decoys close by....That seems to work in the FallWhat are your strategies for fall turkey hunting?
Find out where they are, then sit and wait
I park my butt near where they roost and hope to get a shot at one when they come down. And I haven't found any calls that work in the fall.
you have to scout and pattern their feeding habits. they are a creature of habit. if you come across a flock, make note of the time. if you are unsuccessful in tagging a bird that day, try and come back another day (as soon as you are able) and get set up in that spot at least 30 minutes ahead of when you first spotted the flock.





while squirrel hunting with my 2 nephews last weekend we kicked up a flock on the 2nd bench of the mountain and then found their line of scratchings on the 1st bench as we came down. as soon as archery ends i'll be taking my 12 gauge Mossberg chambered with #4 3'; Mags or a walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment